California's Clean Vehicle Rebate Project Terms and Conditions
Rebate Process for Ford CMAX Energi
Rebates are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis and issued to qualified recipients in a single payment within 90 days of approval. Delays beyond normal processing times may occur. To apply for a rebate:
- Submit an online application. The Project Administrator (Center for Sustainable Energy) will reserve funds for your rebate.
- Mail required supporting documentation within 14 calendar days from the date you submitted the online application. Submittal date will be determined by U.S. mail postmark. Required documentation will include, at a minimum, the following:
- A copy of the CVRP application form signed by the vehicle purchaser, lessee or authorized representative.
- Proof of temporary or permanent vehicle registration.
- A copy of the executed and signed sales or lease contract with an itemization of credits, discounts and incentives received, if applicable.
- For eligible zero-emission motorcycles (ZEMs) and neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs), evidence of sealed maintenance-free batteries (if lead acid) and a 24-month warranty.
- Proof of California residency:
- For individuals, a copy of a California driver’s license. Individuals who do not have a California driver’s license will be required to provide a legible copy of an alternate unique identifier as approved by the Administrator. They must also provide proof of California residency in the form of a utility or cable bill within the last 3 months, a copy of the current DMV registration of another vehicle in the name of the purchaser or lessee, a signed, dated, and notarized residential rental agreement, or other valid form of California residency as approved by ARB.
- For a business or nonprofit, a copy of the formation document filed with the California Secretary of State or other documentation as approved by the Administrator. Sole proprietors may submit a copy of a utility or cable bill from within the last 3 months, a copy of the current DMV registration of another vehicle in the name of the purchaser or lessee, or a notarized rental agreement.
Important: If you do not submit the required supporting documentation within 14 calendar days, the Administrator will release the reserved rebate funds back to the CVRP, and you will have to submit a new application. Rebate checks must be cashed within six months of the date on the check. Checks not cashed within this timeframe will be cancelled, and the rebate amount will be returned to the CVRP.
Applicant and Vehicle Requirements
As a condition for receiving State of California, Air Resources Board (ARB) rebate funds, you (the applicant/purchaser/lessee) must comply with the requirements below. You are responsible for reviewing the CVRP program requirements prior to applying for a rebate. Eligible applicants must meet requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Except for rental, public, and car share fleets, no single entity is eligible to receive more than two CVRP rebates either via direct purchase and/or lease as of January 1, 2015. All rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two rebate limit. Rental and car share fleets are subject to limits of 20 per calendar year. Public fleets are subject to limits of 30 per calendar year.
- Be an individual, business or government entity that is based in California or has a California-based affiliate at the time the rebated vehicle is purchased or leased.
- Eligible vehicles may be purchased out-of-state, but consumers must be California residents at the time of vehicle purchase. All businesses must be licensed to operate in California. Active duty military members stationed in California, but with permanent residency in another state are eligible to apply and may use military orders in lieu of other proof of residence documentation.
- Be a purchaser or lessee of a new eligible vehicle and submit a CVRP application a) within 18 months of the vehicle purchase or lease date, b) after executing and signing a purchase or lease agreement, and c) prior to exhaustion of available rebate funds.
- Not make or allow any modifications to the vehicle’s emissions control systems, hardware, software calibrations, or hybrid system.
- Commit that any emission reductions generated by the purchased vehicle will not be used as marketable emission reduction credits, to offset any emission reduction obligation of any person or entity, or to generate a compliance extension or extra credit for determining regulatory compliance.
- Retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.
- The original lease must be a minimum lease term of 30 months.
- Only rental and car share vehicles are eligible for a reduced ownership provision if retained in California for a minimum of twelve consecutive months but less than 30 consecutive months.
- Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 30-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the original rebate amount.
- Vehicle purchaser or lessee is required to notify the Administrator to arrange for early termination of vehicle ownership in advance of intent to sell or terminate a lease prior to the required 30-month ownership period.
- ARB will periodically check vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If an applicant violates this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate application form and may pursue other remedies available under the law.
- Register the new vehicle with the DMV for a minimum of 30 consecutive months from the original purchase or lease date for use in California.
- Any government owned vehicle not registered with the DMV is still required to operate within California for 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.
- Be available for follow-up inspection if requested by the Administrator, ARB, or ARB’s designee for project oversight and accountability.
- ARB reserves the right to request participation from rebate recipients in ongoing research efforts that support the CVRP and AQIP goals as well as ARB Research Division efforts.
If you have questions about CVRP Terms and Conditions, contact the Administrator (866-984-2532 or email@example.com).