Hands-on education — and real world experiences!
The Green Learning Adventure engages people of all ages in fun, hands-on activities that provide practical solutions to help us live more sustainably. We offer the program both at community events and at schools for 5th–8th grade students, with a special emphasis in underserved areas of San Diego County. The lessons empower, inspire and educate youthful minds about green career paths, while reinforcing literacy, math and science skills.
Andrea Cook, CCSE senior manager of education, and Sharon Allen, green educator, lead the fun-filled learning experiences for students, teachers and the public. Current activities include lessons on
The all-time favorite is Pedal Power—a human-powered energy bike that demonstrates how much electricity it takes to run lighting and other household items. How many incandescent, compact florescent or LED light bulbs can you light up? Can you run a fan or hairdryer? While pedalling, the energy hogs become clear immediately.
Key highlights from the classroom
- Students enthusiastically volunteer to participate in the hands-on exercises.
- Common feedback from teachers is that they are learning facts they didn't know and gaining new tools.
- CCSE conducts pre- and post-event surveys of students to evaluate their awareness of environmental issues and actions they can take.
- Students regularly write thank-you letters with pride, stating what changes they have made at home to be more sustainable.
Booths at community events
In addition to classroom visits, we take Green Learning Initiatives to community events. In the past 3-1/2 years, more than 22,900 people have visited our booth to learn more about practical ways to go green. Some of the places we have taken our booth include
- Earth Day in Balboa Park
- Family Science Day at the Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Festival of Science and Engineering at Petco Park
- SEA Days at the Birch Aquarium
- Green Future badging sessions for Girl Scouts
- Events at SDG&E’s Energy Innovation Center
Join in the adventure
Current funding for the program comes from the generous support of our partners:
Please contact us
For information on donating to the Green Learning Adventure:
Andrea Cook, CCSE senior manager of education
(858) 244-4869 or Andrea.Cook@energycenter.org
For schools, youth groups and community organizations interested in hosting a Green Learning Adventure:
Sharon Allen, CCSE Green Learning Initiative Instructor
(858) 244-1177 x420 or Sharon.Allen@energycenter.org