CCSE Internship Program
The California Center for Sustainable Energy ( CCSE) Internship Program offers internship opportunities year-round to qualified undergraduate and graduate students who have a minimum of three years of undergraduate training, a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the fields of energy program implementation, outreach and education. This program enables students to work on specific projects under the direction of CCSE's professional staff and is tailored to provide the maximum educational benefit to each participant.
CCSE’s internship program is designed to mentor undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent university graduates, interested in making a career in the renewable energy industry. The focus of the program is to assist young professionals along the path of personal professional development, gaining the knowledge, resources and experience they need to join the renewable energy industry.
Program participants engage in research and program assistance with projects tailored to their interests and CCSE’s current programmatic needs. Interns build on their knowledge and prior experiences, delve into publications and reading lists provided to them by CCSE staff and gain introductions to the renewable energy community. They are given the opportunity to meet potential employers through networking events and personal introductions.
Are the Internships full-time or part-time?
Internships are customized to individual interns' schedules. Most internships are 2 or 3 days per week for 3 to 4 months. Based on individual circumstances and availability, full time internships may be available. The internship program is currently unpaid.
What is expected of you as a CCSE Intern?
CCSE interns are expected to work with staff to identify, define and pursue a project of interest that will form the core content of work at CCSE. Some interns know what project they want to pursue before starting; others define the project after arriving at CCSE. The core project or projects are designed to help interns gain specialized knowledge in one area of the renewable energy industry. Most interns will spend 50% of their total time at CCSE focused on their core project.
In addition to the project, interns are expected to delve into the information resources provided to them by CCSE staff to gain a broad-based understanding of the industry. In the space of networking and industry exploration, interns are expected to take advantage of all opportunities to attend workshops, seminars, meetings, conferences and networking events to gain a broader understanding of the numerous organizations and viewpoints in the space.
Keeping a job search in mind, interns are expected to work out a personal informational interviewing plan, identifying individuals working in areas of career interest to gain a better understanding of future opportunities. Lastly, as a team player in a fast-paced office, CCSE hopes interns are willing to pitch in with tasks such as stuffing envelopes or working conferences with the rest of the CCSE team, when that kind of work is necessary.
What are the benefits of a CCSE internship?
Below are some of the benefits designed for students:
- Learn about the mission, vision, goals and values of California Center for Sustainable Energy.
- Work with a mentor in your area of interest.
- Develop professional skills.
- Explore your options before committing to a career choice.
- Network with acclaimed staff and make contacts in the energy community.
- Gain experience that will increase value to prospective employers.
- Build a resume and references.
- Learn to design and manage projects to accomplish specific objectives.
- Develop personal and professional qualities for becoming an energy professional
- Further the understanding of energy issues.
- Study program development process as a means of involving local people in planning, implementation, evaluation and interpretation of CCSE programs.
- Engage in challenging and meaningful work that will green your world!
Components for CCSE’s internship program
CCSE’s internships offer students a full experience that includes the following components:
- Projects: Intern assignments are designed to be instructive, challenging and rewarding. They reflect a balance of strategic initiatives and tactical elements, analysis and creative development.
- Integration: High levels of exposure to the people and culture at CCSE is important to successful internships. Interns become part of the CCSE team and are included in:
- Monthly staff meetings
- Weekly program meetings
- Workshops, seminars and lunch and learn
- Training: Structured workshops and informal, interactive sessions presented by CCSE staff provide interns with relevant training that can be immediately applied to projects.
- Community Service: CCSE believes the organization and staff have a responsibility to help make every place a better place. Each year interns will have the opportunity to positively impact San Diego and test their project management skills by participating in various community service events and programs.
- Social: Don't worry, even with all of that training and responsibility for key projects, interns will still find time to relax and have fun. In fact, CCSE makes sure of it by organizing and sponsoring many social events that provide great exposure to energy-related issues.
How can interns apply?
Interns are invited to apply for the internship program by submitting the following documents:
Submit the above documents with your cover letter and resume to
. In your cover letter, let us get to know you by explaining what you would like to gain from a CCSE internship, why you want to make a career in the renewable energy industry and what kind of future career paths are of interest to you. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Below are the internship positions that CCSE offers. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Internship Opportunities