For Job Seekers
Looking for a green job? You’ve come to the right place. Our step by step guide will walk you through the process and provide valuable resources along the way.
- Take an inventory- Look at your past work, education and volunteer experience. Can any of it be applied to a green job? Get an idea of what your personal strengths are. This can help you decide whether being a solar salesman or a solar installer is right for you.
- Study the Green Economy- You want to make sure that the industries you are interested in also have growth opportunities. The Green Career Network has a wealth of studies and information in our Green Job Studies and Reports section.
- Explore your Opportunities- Start doing some research on the types of jobs available in industries with growth. You might consider doing informational interviews with people who have jobs that you think might be a good fit for you. Check out the list of Green Employers on the Green Job Resources page.
- Get Educated- Once you’ve decided on your new green career, you might need some additional training. You can find a full list of available training in the Training and Education section. If you are under or unemployed you might even qualify to have all or part of your training paid for. To find out call or visit a California One-Stop Career Centers.
- Network/Volunteer- Meeting people is a great way to get job leads. The Center for Sustainable Energy has a full list of activities on our Education & Event calendar. You might also try volunteering with groups like the US Green Building Council, San Diego Renewable Energy Society and the Center for Sustainable Energy.
- Green Job Sites- Check out the Green Career Network job posting site for available green jobs.