The Chula Vista Sustainable Energy Showcase House - New Home Tour scheduled - Saturdays: July 14, August 11, September 8, October 6 and November 3, 2012 - 10 am to 1 pm. Please check back later for a rescheduled date.
The Community Savings Initiative supports the efforts of Energy Upgrade California by bringing together homeowners in Chula Vista to educate them about the benefits of having energy efficiency upgrades installed in their homes. An energy efficiency upgrade under the Energy Upgrade California program, a state-wide program, focuses on the “whole house” systems approach. It involves testing of key system components by qualified professionals to determine if there are deficiencies in the insulation, heating and air conditioning, appliances, and lighting that waste energy. The assessments conducted also show homeowners ways to upgrade system components to maximize health, comfort, safety, and air quality in their homes.
The Community Savings Initiative is a collaboration of the California Center for Sustainable Energy ( CCSE), the City of Chula Vista, community leaders in Chula Vista, and two local home performance contractors. This collaboration focuses on helping homeowners make informed decisions about their homes. Through the Community Savings Initiative, homeowners can learn about health and safety benefits, generous rebates to help pay for upgrades, potential energy savings, and more.
All Chula Vista homeowners living in single-family detached homes are eligible to participate in the Community Savings Initiative. Townhomes and condos are not eligible. Current Program focus is on the west side of the City in neighborhoods with older homes that have greater potential for improving comfort and safety and higher energy savings. The best way to learn more about the Program, is to attend Energy Efficiency Home Tours. At these open house events homeowners can see firsthand a variety of energy efficiency upgrades. Homeowners will have the opportunity to talk directly with homeowners that have had upgrades installed about the benefits obtained from the upgrades. Homeowners are encouraged to attend local Community Savings Initiative neighborhood events and information sessions to learn more about eligibility.
By investing in whole house energy upgrades homeowners will enjoy these benefits:
- Temperatures will be consistent throughout your home and rooms will no longer be too hot or too cold.
- Increasing the amount of fresh air inside homes has helped some homeowners reduce or eliminate nagging allergies.
- Save money on your utility bills and reduce greenhouse gas or carbon emissions.
- Enhance home values with energy upgrades, thereby making the entire community a better place to live.
The Community Savings Initiative offers additional benefits:
- Neighborhood events: CCSE is sponsoring open houses and information sessions in Chula Vista where homeowners can hear about the benefits and lessons-learned from homeowners who have been through the upgrade process. Homeowners will be able to talk with the vetted Community Savings Initiative contractors, and learn more about the Program.
- Contractor vetting and discount pricing: With the help of CCSE, a group of active local Chula Vista homeowners and community leaders called the “Neighborhood Leaders” reviewed proposals from a number of locally based Energy Upgrade California participating contractors. The Neighborhood Leaders identified three home performance contractors, based on their technical know-how and discount pricing offered to the community, to serve Chula Vista homeowners that participate in the Community Savings Initiative. Contractor profiles are available for each of the two participating contractors: ASI Hastings and GGR Energy.
- Energy Upgrade California rebates from SDG&E: These rebates can help reduce upgrade costs and are eligible to all homeowners. Community Savings Initiative staff and the three preferred contractors can guide you through the rebate process.
- Target marketing: Homeowners who are most likely to benefit from whole-house energy upgrades will be the first to know about neighbourhood events and informational sessions.
- Attend an Energy Efficiency Home Tour.
- Provide us with your contact information, we will keep you informed about upcoming milestones, community events and how to get started with your home energy efficiency upgrade project. Get involved >>
- Join us at a neighborhood event
- Give us a call and we will walk you through it. (858) 244-1177
Local civic and community association, social groups, schools, nonprofits, faith organizations