The Clean Vehicle Rebate Project ( CVRP) is funded by the California Environmental Protection Agency's Air Resources Board ( ARB) and administered statewide by the California Center for Sustainable Energy ( CCSE). A total of $45.2 million has been appropriated for FY 2009-2011 to promote the production and use of zero-emission vehicles ( ZEV), including electric, plug-in hybrid electric, and fuel cell vehicles. Rebates of up to $2,500 per light-duty vehicle are available for individuals and business owners who purchase or lease new eligible zero-emission or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
Of this $45.2 million, $2 million was provided by the California Energy Commission on May 26, 2011. Funding from the Energy Commission is specifically dedicated to light-duty ZEVs capable of freeway operation and certified for four or more passengers. Click here to read a press release which provides more information about this funding announcement.
| Estimated Remaining CVRP Funding
Interested in applying for a rebate? Follow these three easy steps:
Verify Vehicle Eligibility and Apply
- Determine if you are eligible for the program by either downloading the CVRP Applicant Requirements or checking the vehicle eligibility section.
- If eligible, click on the Apply for a Vehicle Rebate button below and fill out the online application.
Required Documents and Application
- After the online application is completed, CCSE staff will review and certify that an applicant meets all the preliminary requirements.
- If the applicant meets these qualifications, CCSE will send out an email confirming the online application was received as well as requesting additional documentation including:
- CVRP written application
- Proof of California residency for individuals
- Copy of California business license
- Proof of temporary or permanent vehicle registration
- Copy of the sales or lease contract signed
- To qualify for the rebate, applicants must mail a hard copy of a signed, completed CVRP application and each of the documents listed above to CCSE within 14 calendar days. The application and additional documents should be mailed to:
California Center for Sustainable Energy
Attention: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
9325 Sky Park Court, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92123
Get your Electric Vehicle Rebate
- CCSE will review the signed, completed application and additional documents to ensure the applicant meets all program requirements. Once CCSE confirms the applicant meets these requirements, a rebate check will be sent out within approximately 60 days.