About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Accountant, Accounts Payable provides accounting, administrative and clerical services, including processing and monitoring of payments that all finances are accurate and up to date, making payments within established timeframes.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Accounts Payable Processing:
- Process vendor invoices and employee expense reports, in a timely manner and in accordance with company policies.
- Verify coding.
- Process coding changes as requested by project managers or other accounting department personnel.
- Generate high-volume check runs.
- Create and distribute periodic unbilled cost reports supported by invoice copies for project managers in accordance with company policies.
- Maintain general ledger expense dictionaries for project and administrative costs.
- Maintain manual and electronic filing systems.
- Cash and bank reconciliation procedures:
- Manage bank deposit procedures, including the safeguarding of checks received in the mail.
- Record cash receipts, Authorize.net transactions and bank service fees in the general ledger and maintain cash receipt filing.
- Prepare transaction journal entries for approval and posting by the assigned department member(s).
- Review coding for employee credit card transactions and enter in accounting system.
- Billing and revenue recognition for all co-funded arrangements.
- Prepare journal entries for direct project costs reimbursed to employees.
- Prepare month-end journal entries for corporate vehicles.
- Track general ledger activity in select asset and liability accounts (including prepaid expenses, fixed assets and accrued expenses) and make related recurring journal entries.
- Maintain process control logs as requested.
- Generate monthly accounts payable aging and highlight any issues identified.
- Perform other general ledger reconciliations as assigned, including ad hoc internal inquires made by program management staff.
- Document key business processes relative to accounts payable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively and professionally with individuals at various levels of the organization, demonstrating a high level of interpersonal skills in order to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Flexibility to respond to changes in priorities and demands for work.
Education and/or Experience:
- 3-5 years accounts payable experience.
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Computer and/or Technical Skills:
- Proficient with MS Office applications such as Excel, Word and Outlook. Experience with Acrobat Professional.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.