Location: San Diego, CA
The Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, nonprofit organization that serves as an objective resource on energy issues for individuals, businesses, organizations, public agencies and local governments throughout California and beyond. CSE works to implement energy and climate policy through program development and management, technical assistance and education and outreach. With a primary focus on facilitating renewable, sustainable and efficient energy technologies and practices, CSE currently operates in five focus areas: energy efficiency, renewable energy, climate change, transportation and distributed generation.
The Associate Director of Programs will be responsible for managing program operations and administration activities across CSE’s clean energy programs. This work will include regular monitoring of the performance of grants and contracts while ensuring contract execution is in accordance with company policies, government and legal requirements. This position will also assist in reviewing and negotiating legal contracts prior to project implementation and coordinating business licensing, insurance and subcontracting requirements.
The programs department is comprised of over 70 employees chartered with advancing the mission of the CSE through effective performance of all revenue generating programs, as well as developing new business consistent with the current strategy of the organization. The position will report to the Director of Programs and have proxy oversight for entire programs department as assigned by the Director.
What you’ll be doing:
- Assist the Director of Programs in the day to day operations and administration of clean energy projects;
- Work directly with Senior Managers of programs to drive organizational improvements and program effectiveness as assigned;
- Lead negotiations for terms and conditions of complex contracts, ensuring the contract reflects agreement; obtain approvals to complete the contract;
- Ensure all projects meet compliance requirements and contractual obligations (i.e. financial, legal, IT security, data retention, intellectual property);
- Review and negotiate non-disclosure agreements, memorandums of understanding, subcontract agreements;
- Ensure that RFPs, contract documents and other actions are consistent with CSE policy and other applicable regulations.
- PROGRAM MONITORING: Monitor ongoing activities to ensure that procedures are working to achieve program goals and to support efficient processes. Maintain an understanding of, and comply with, all contractual terms and conditions of assigned project(s). Interface with CSE Project Management Office (PMO) on areas for process improvement and staff development.
- PROGRAM COORDINATION: Work with CSE Accounting, Operations, Human Resource, IT and Business Development teams to continue the development of efficient and streamlined internal processes in support of quality program delivery and efficient execution.
- CONTRACTS MANAGEMENT: Serve as contract management lead on the review and negotiation of contracts prior to project implementation. Maintain an understanding of all contractual terms and conditions and required flow down requirements to subcontractors. Ensure that CSE is compliant on all contract requirements before and during project execution. Address any contract updates, amendments, task order changes during the program /project life cycle. Interface with outside legal counsel, business registration offices, insurance carriers, etc. as required to validate compliance and limit liability.
The ideal candidate:
- Minimum 8-10 years of business management or contract management experience directly related to the essential functions and responsibilities of the position. Graduate school experience may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Bachelor's degree in area relevant to the primary job duties and required qualifications. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience successfully collaborating across distances using communications technology.
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills and the ability to negotiate agreeable solutions and work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and diverse constituencies in multiple locations.
- Proven ability to interact with contractors and cross-functional teams.
- Self-motivated team player with ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be accountable to deadlines with minimal supervision.
- PMP certification preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of various contract types and how they influence all aspects of project implementation, administration and compliance.
- Strong negotiation skills; and ability to research, interpret, and communicate requirements to ensure CSE’s rights and obligations are protected.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong business operations skills.
- General understanding of data security, document retention and compliance issues is required.
- Detail-oriented; exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to perform within required deadlines.
- Strong organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments.
- Demonstrated high-level of abilities with various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Fluent with MS Office 2007 Suite and Windows XP.
- Valid California Driver’s License; insurable in the State of California. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please send a resume and cover letter along with salary history via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “Associate Director of Programs” in the email subject to facilitate sorting.