About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for providing creative support to senior designer(s) and/or the Creative Services Manager for design projects. Graphic design work will be focused on both digital and traditional print designs to support client programs, development efforts and corporate marketing endeavors.
Daily duties will include creating imaginative and original designs that visually communicate program/client needs effectively based on the creative brief, established style guide, brand, storyboard, wireframes and/or other program requirements. This role requires meeting project deadlines in a fast-paced environment for various print and digital marketing and/or development of related collateral.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
- Create graphic materials using digital art or photographic techniques for websites, social media, blog and other digital media
- Create original collateral that presents information in a way that is both accessible and memorable, including but not limited to flyers, brochures, corporate material, reports, displays, infographics, logo design, outreach materials, email templates, posters, presentation graphics, web graphics, etc.
- Uploads and maintains project status through established project management software
- Compose production files ready for commercial printing
- Design and maintain templates for company stationery (letterhead, cover pages, business cards, etc.).
- Create branded documents in support of various programs
- Work with vendors to receive printing estimates and to achieve on-time, on-target projects
- Research and assist in sourcing new techniques, materials, processes and vendors as needed
- Help manage image stock library and other visual assets as needed
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Essential knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator
- Ability and knowledge of HTML/CSS in creating responsive web design and email
- An imaginative, creative sense and the ability to approach design challenges with a new perspective
- Must possess creative ability to create design projects from conception to completion
- Expert graphic arts understanding of offset printing processes and production of print-ready files
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Meticulous ability to neatly organize digital files and versions saved to the server
- Positive, collaborative team player with a can-do attitude
- Ability to display excellent client/customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external partners
- Open to a diverse array of project types
- Passion for sustainable energy a plus
- Excellent sense of color theory, corporate branding, layout, iconography, illustration, information design and typography
- Experience in user-interface, usability, visual design with ability to create highly-effective and visually compelling user-focused interfaces across a variety of platforms (mobile, web apps, dashboards, websites, etc.)
- Knowledge of motion graphics, visual effects, video production/editing and animation
- Ability to generate HTML/CSS code ready for implementation from designs a strong plus
Education and/or experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Visual Communications/Graphic Design
- 3-6 years recent work experience and portfolio reflecting work
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
- In addition to the Adobe Creative Suite, demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Familiar with standard office procedures, filing, telephone techniques and operation of office equipment
- Proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar and oral communication
License, Certificates or Registrations:
Valid California Driver’s License; insurable in the State of California. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.