About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
Under supervision from the Senior Operations Manager, the Operations Manager supervises Clean Transportation Operations staff, managing daily operations to maximize rebate application processing efficiency and ensure that the team is achieving project objectives.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manages activities within the Clean Transportation Operations team with responsibility for results including costs, methods, and staffing. Supervises 6-8 employees.
- Establishes goals for team members and monitors their progress. Ensures individual and team goals are achieved or exceeded. Provides regular feedback. Conducts performance appraisals. Creates professional development opportunities.
- Develops and maintains project expertise and deep understanding of rebate processing systems to guide Operations team members in their work, solve technical problems, maintain efficient work processes, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Coaches employees in customer service best practices; monitors quality of team customer service; handles escalated customer service calls.
- Coordinates with internal teams and external vendors to implement and test system and process updates to meet new program requirements and to improve existing processes.
- Maintains quality control and performance metrics to ensure team members are completing work efficiently and accurately. Supports internal and external project auditing activities to ensure compliance with processes. Ensures data is handled according to program requirements and data security best practices.
- Develops and maintains documentation for all Operations processes and policies. Develops and maintains standard language for communicating with applicants via website, email, and phone. Trains employees to follow processes consistently and accurately.
- Communicates regularly with the Clean Transportation Operations management team to provide status updates, report concerns, and recommend solutions and improvements.
- Takes strategic direction from the Senior Operations Manager and proactively directs the team’s efforts based on that direction.
The ideal candidate:
- 5-6 years of related experience. Working knowledge of project management principles, managing grant agreements and government contracts.
- Experience in clean energy industry preferred.
- Some graduate school experience may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to essential duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Additional work experience may be substituted to satisfy the education requirement.
- Demonstrated experience managing people and leading teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to deal effectively with employees, stakeholders and external parties.
- Demonstrated success in customer service; ability to promote quality customer service practices on the Operations team.
- Demonstrated experience in developing new and improving existing work processes. Able to collaborate on, test, and implement system and process changes to meet new program requirements and improve existing processes.
- Ability to document new and existing processes clearly and accurately. Ability to explain work processes and process changes to others.
- Understanding of data security best practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to flex communication style to communicate effectively with employees, peers, management, customers, and stakeholders.
- Attention to detail with a logical, analytical approach to work tasks. Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to identify alternative solutions for challenging issues.
- Strong organizational, time management and planning skills. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments.
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive, work with minimal supervision and make independent decisions as needed.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.