About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
Under supervision from the Senior Operations Manager, the Operations Manager supervises Clean Transportation Operations staff, managing daily operations to maximize rebate application processing efficiency and ensure that the team is achieving project objectives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manages activities within the Clean Transportation Operations team with responsibility for results including costs, methods, and staffing. Supervises team of 8-12 employees.
- Establishes goals for team members and monitors their progress. Ensures individual and team goals are achieved or exceeded. Meets weekly with each team member to provide regular feedback and consistent communications. Conducts performance appraisals. Creates professional development opportunities.
- Coordinates team scheduling for matrixed team members and support distribution of administrative duties across the team
- Supports initial training and on-boarding of new team members. Works with team members and coordinators when training goals are not met to maintain accountability for performance and trouble shoot issues in the training process.
- Develops expertise in specific program requirements as directed by the Senior Operations Manager, such as income verification, system updates, training, and other related programs. Provides development of guidance, internal procedures and policies related to these focus areas.
- Collaborates with internal teams in matters related to Operations functions, including Project managers/coordinators, Systems Analysts, Marketing/Education/Outreach, Accounting, and Human Resources
- Supervise and coach team regarding customer relations, application troubleshooting, quality assurance/quality control, and all other activities related to consumer incentive application processing.
- Develops and maintains project expertise and understanding of rebate processing systems to guide Operations team members in their work, solve technical problems, maintain efficient work processes, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Provides oversight and support for escalated cases with unique circumstances to ensure program requirements are met. Direct team decision making in unique cases in which program precedent may be set.
- Provide support and direction for new and emerging program requirements as they arise, such as legislation, that affects operations and implementation
- Coordinates with internal teams and external vendors to implement and test system and process updates to meet new program requirements and to improve existing processes.
- Maintains quality control and performance metrics to ensure team members are completing work efficiently and accurately. Supports internal and external project auditing activities to ensure compliance with processes. Ensures data is handled according to program requirements and data security best practices.
- Develops and maintains documentation for all Operations processes and policies. This includes website updates, programmatic updates, updates to standard operating procedures, and regular system changes and reviews based on program requirements.
- Communicates regularly with the Clean Transportation Operations management team to provide status updates, report concerns, and recommend solutions and improvements.
- Takes strategic direction from the Senior Operations Manager and proactively directs the team’s efforts based on that direction.
- Complete miscellaneous administrative duties, including time and leave management system for team members
- Provide progressive discipline, coaching, and accountability when direct reports are not meeting goals or performance expectations in collaboration with Senior Operations Manager and Human Resources
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Role Specific Responsibilities:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience managing people and leading teams with a diverse level of work experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with employees, stakeholders and external parties.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to flex communication style to communicate effectively with employees, peers, management, customers, and stakeholders.
- Attention to detail with a logical, analytical approach to work tasks. Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to identify alternative solutions for challenging issues.
- Strong organizational, time management and planning skills. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments.
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive, work with minimal supervision and make independent decisions as needed
- Demonstrated experience in developing new and improving existing work processes. Able to collaborate on, test, and implement system and process changes to meet new program requirements and improve existing processes.
- Ability to document new and existing processes clearly and accurately. Ability to explain work processes and process changes to others.
- Required working knowledge of project management principles, managing grant agreements and government contracts.
- Demonstrated success in customer service; ability to promote quality customer service practices on the Operations team.
- Understanding of data security best practices.
- Demonstrated high-level of abilities of various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Fluent with MS Office 2007 Suite and Windows XP.
- Experience managing consumer incentive projects
- Experience with Salesforce.com CRM platform
- Experience with advanced technology market transformation programs.
- Familiarity with clean transportation policies and landscape
- Experience in clean energy industry
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5-6 years of related experience. Some graduate school experience may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to the essential duties and responsibilities of this position
Licenses, Certificates or Registrations:
Valid California Driver’s License; insurable in the State of California.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.