Location: Boston, MA
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Berkeley, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals. Our areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Project Manager for Distributed Energy Resources Incentives and Operations programs, is a critical part of program team, who supervises DERs I&O staff and manages the day to day program operations to maximize rebate application processing efficiency and ensure that the team is achieving project objectives. The Project Manager works under the general supervision of the DER I&O Senior Manager and will ensure CSE’s continued leadership in incentive program administration services. Success is based on the organization and ability of the Project Manager to efficiently utilize and manage the strengths, skills and experience of the team to provide exceptional customer service, develop and deliver effective market assistance, and streamline administration processes.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manages activities within the DERs I&O team with responsibility for results including costs, methods, and staffing. Reporting staff is yet to be determined.
- Establishes goals for team members and monitors their progress. Ensures individual and team goals are achieved or exceeded. Provides regular feedback. Conducts performance appraisals. Creates professional development opportunities.
- Develops and maintains project expertise and deep understanding of rebate processing systems to guide I&O team members in their work, solve technical problems, maintain efficient work processes, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Coaches employees in customer service best practices; monitors quality of team customer service; handles escalated customer service calls.
- Coordinates with internal teams and external vendors to implement and test system and process updates to meet new program requirements and to improve existing processes.
- Maintains quality control and performance metrics to ensure team members are completing work efficiently and accurately. Supports internal and external project auditing activities to ensure compliance with processes. Ensures data is handled per program requirements and data security best practices.
- Develops and maintains documentation for all I&O processes and policies. Develops and maintains standard language for communicating with applicants via website, email, and phone. Trains employees to follow processes consistently and accurately.
- Communicates regularly with the DERs I&O management team to provide status updates, report concerns, and recommend solutions and improvements.
- Oversee administration of project budget, including control and monitoring of project-related expenditures. Ensure monthly tracking and invoicing of program expenses. Assist in preparation of interim and final financial reports.
- Present at conferences, and in front of industry and community groups, and legislative bodies, producing research briefs, presentations and reports that correspond with project policy, research and communications efforts, as needed.
The ideal candidate:
- 5-6 years of related experience. Required working knowledge of project management principles, managing grant agreements and government contracts.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated success in customer service; ability to promote quality customer service practices on the DERs I&O team.
- Demonstrated expertise working with CRM systems, specifically Salesforce.
- Demonstrated experience in developing new and improving existing work processes. Able to collaborate on, test, and implement system and process changes to meet new program requirements and improve existing processes.
- Ability to document new and existing processes clearly and accurately. Ability to explain work processes and process changes to others.
- Understanding of data security best practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to flex communication style to communicate effectively with employees, peers, management, customers, and stakeholders.
- Attention to detail with a logical, analytical approach to work tasks. Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to identify alternative solutions for challenging issues.
- Strong organizational, time management and planning skills. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments.
- Understanding of single-family residential, multifamily and non-residential and small business construction service business models, barriers to adoption, and solutions for increasing customer participation.
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive, work with minimal supervision and make independent decisions as needed.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in distributed energy resource technologies such as solar, advanced energy storage, and other sustainable technologies.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in local, state, and federal energy policy and issues related to greenhouse gases (GHGs) and climate change preferred.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in energy issues with basic understanding of effective energy and load management, barriers to implementing renewable technologies (financing, structural, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management; successful project management through all phases (initiating, planning, execution, monitoring, closing) and project constraints (scope, quality, scheduling, budget, resources, risk);
- Experience in clean energy industry preferred
- Public speaking and presentation experience preferred
- Ability to work cooperatively with decision makers as well as a diverse array of market participants
- Bilingual, Spanish speaker preferred
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.