About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The QA Engineer is a member of the Systems Development Team who will assess the quality of CSE solutions prior to release via manual and automated testing. CSE solutions include application processing platforms for clean energy incentive programs, such as California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). These solutions include a front-end CMS system and back-end Salesforce and document storage systems. The QA Engineer collaborates with a team of Business Analysts and Front-end and Back-end Developers (including external Development partners) to understand requirements, design test plans/test cases and execute them to ensure quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Review and analyze system requirements and specifications
- Collaborate with Platform Project Management to set milestones and tasks representing all required QA phases
- Develop and document effective test strategies and plans
- Create requirements traceability matrices to ensure adequate testing coverage
- Assign test plans and manage cross functional team resources to ensure extensive and complete test coverage
- Execute test cases (manual or automated) and analyze results
- Responsible for testing front end websites and user experience, backend APIs, integrations and databases along with mobile applications
- Triage issues found and document each defect clearly and concisely
- Assist developers in identifying root cause and define corrective actions
- Assist in creating acceptance criteria for user stories and requirements
- Participate in Backlog Grooming sessions and Sprint planning and provide input for testing estimates
- Develop and maintain automated scripts for regression testing
- Suggest and implement process improvements for platform quality assurance and testing processes
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have Salesforce experience
- Proven experience in testing web applications with knowledge of cross browsers and user interface testing technique
- Familiarity with Drupal (or other front-end technologies), PHP, SQL, Web Services
- Knowledge of various testing methods – Unit testing, Integration Testing, System Testing, Acceptance Testing (Smoke testing) Regression Testing, Black-Box/White Box Testing and when to apply what
- Knowledge of scripting and automated testing frameworks
- Familiar with Software Development Lifecycle and QA methodologies
- A self-starter who sets priorities and undertakes complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Can effectively work on multiple projects concurrently and with varying development methodologies – agile, scrum, waterfall
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Customer-focused and results driven
- Working knowledge of Jira as a test management tool
- Experience with Confluence and Podio a plus
- Experience with Agile Development methodology
Education and/or Experience
- 3-5 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with coursework related to the area of assignment
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
Communicate effectively in both oral and written form; compose and edit written materials; explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to staff and customers; research and learn new software and adapt to changes in technology; prioritize, organize, and schedule work assignments and projects; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.