Location: San Diego, Oakland or Los Angeles
About the Center for Sustainable Energy
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals. Our areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
This position is an integral part of the CSE’s Research and Analysis (R&A) team, which supports the organization’s policy development, program implementation, and marketing and outreach activities. The Research Analyst will contribute to CSE’s analytical capacity, particularly in the areas of quantitative and qualitative analysis, research design, program evaluation, statistical methods, data visualization and public reporting.
What you’ll be doing:
Research and Statistical Methods
- Compile, read, and summarize existing literature to frame research efforts and inform policy.
- Design research/evaluation projects, including developing research questions, identifying appropriate methodologies, and drafting data collection instruments.
- Administer surveys, focus groups and/or interviews
- Assemble, manipulate, analyze and interpret data from various sources, often in coordination with external research partners.
- Perform statistical analysis, including multivariable linear regressions, GIS-based spatial analysis, time series modeling and forecasting techniques.
- Effectively communicate findings and implications to internal staff and high-level external stakeholders
- Review analyses conducted by other research analysts for quality.
- Document research procedures and develop SOPs.
- Draft written reports and proposals describing completed or proposed model design, implementation and results.
- Work collaboratively with program teams and other members of R&A team to achieve objectives.
Data Visualization and Reporting
- Generate web-based data visualization, maps and reporting tools.
- Access and facilitate reporting from existing program, customer relationship management (CRM) databases, and enterprise resource planning software databases.
CSE Program Support
- Develop analytical tools for program assessment, tracking and evaluation, including projections of budgets and participation rates.
- Support/represent program staff in public reporting calls and committee.
- Support program teams in measurement and evaluation activities.
- Support program staff or senior members of R&A team in developing presentations.
- Participate, as needed, in program working groups, meetings, and regulatory proceedings.
- Advise program teams of research needs, opportunities, strategies and best practices; help them scope research projects that help meet their project goals.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal clients and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to R&A team strategy/work plan.
- Present at conferences, produce research briefs and reports, write blogs.
The ideal candidate:
- 1-4 years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree) in statistics, economics, computer science, social science, environmental science, engineering or related field. Coursework should show substantial analytical content
- Understanding of electricity sector (including rates) and/or markets or policy related to electric vehicles, energy efficiency, distributed generation and/or energy storage.
- Experience working with or within public agencies
- Additional relevant work experience may be substituted to satisfy the education requirement; an advanced degree may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to the position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in at least two of the following:
- Data visualization software (e.g., Tableau)
- Statistical analysis tools (e.g., STATA, R)
- Relational database development, maintenance and reporting
- GIS mapping software (ESRI ArcMap 9+, QGIS)
- Quantitative research design and methods
- Program evaluation
- Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to explain complex, technical concepts to non-technical staff and stakeholders
- Self-motivated to meet deadlines of multiple concurrent projects and implement quality assurance protocols
- Ability to work independently on long-term projects
- Demonstrated propensity to proactively communicate with teammates and seek feedback on work
- Interest in working with data, research and sustainable energy initiatives
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please send a resume and cover letter along with salary history via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “Research Analyst I” in the email subject to facilitate sorting.