Location: San Diego, CA
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals. Our areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
This paid internship provides an opportunity to gain professional experience working as an integral part of CSE’s Research and Analysis (R&A) team, which supports the organization’s policy development, program implementation, and marketing and outreach activities. The intern will assist primarily with a U.S. Department of Energy-funded project investigating how to reduce the soft costs (i.e., non-hardware costs) of solar adoption and may assist with other CSE research projects as needed. The internship requires 20-29 hours per week for 10 weeks beginning in mid-June, 2017.
What you’ll be doing:
- Compile, read, and summarize literature to inform research efforts.
- Gather information from stakeholders by conducting interviews according to established protocols.
- Assemble, manipulate, summarize and analyze data; document analysis decisions and steps.
- Contribute to written reports and/or presentations.
- Follow quality control protocols.
- Ask questions of supervisor and other members of R&A team to better understand research methodologies and sustainable energy markets.
The ideal candidate:
- Completion of Associate’s degree or currently in pursuit of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in statistics, economics, computer science, social science, environmental science, public policy, engineering or related field. Coursework should show substantial analytical content.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated propensity to proactively communicate with teammates and seek feedback on work
- Interest in working with data, research and sustainable energy initiatives
- Familiarity with one or more of the following:
- Data visualization software (e.g., Tableau)
- Survey platforms (e.g., Survey Gizmo)
- Statistical analysis tools (e.g., STATA, R)
- Relational database development, maintenance and reporting
- GIS mapping software (e.g., ESRI ArcMap 9+, QGIS)
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.