Location: San Diego, CA
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, nonprofit organization based in San Diego that serves as an objective resource on energy issues for individuals, businesses, organizations and public agencies throughout the United States. CSE works to implement energy and climate policy through program development and management, technical assistance and education and outreach. With a primary focus on facilitating renewable, sustainable and efficient energy technologies and practices, CSE operates in five focus areas: energy efficiency, renewable energy, climate change, clean transportation and distributed generation.
The Senior Project Coordinator is responsible for supporting two specific projects within CSE’s Distributed Energy Resources, Technology Integration team: City of San Diego Public Library Zero Net Energy and Integrated Demand Side Management Demonstration Program and Residential Distributed Energy Resource Management System. These projects focus on clean energy technology demonstrations and technical assistance to accelerate the adoption of integrated distributed energy solutions and zero net energy (ZNE) design principles. Under general supervision from the Project Manager, the Senior Project Coordinator will support these pre-commercialized demonstration projects funded by the California Energy Commission.
Activities will include engaging with and coordinating clean energy stakeholders, including municipal and commercial building owners and operators, contractors, design professionals, local government staff and elected officials to understand barriers and identify opportunities for solutions that lead to energy savings in existing buildings and help all parties work toward the ZNE future.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of clean energy technologies and solutions for increasing the adoption of tools and resources that achieve energy savings in the built environment. The successful candidate will have excellent stakeholder coordination skills, friendly and professional customer service and a “think outside the box” mentality that leads to identification and development of effective tools and resources that help target audiences achieve shared clean energy objectives.
Other duties and special projects may be assigned, and this position will need to be flexible and open to changes in both the implementation strategy as well as the job description as programs grow and adapt to the clean energy marketplace.
What you’ll be doing:
- Program Implementation: Support day-to-day program activities and problem solving that have a direct impact on the function of project scopes, schedules and budgets. Tap into technical knowledge and stakeholder familiarity to ensure deliverables and resources align with both established technical standards and project requirements.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Interact extensively with project stakeholders; develop and maintain strong relationships to inform stakeholders of ongoing program developments. Develop and deliver messages to target audiences both via in-person events and multimedia platforms.
- Program Monitoring: Accurately track program data in Excel and/or customer relationship management software; organize and analyze data to inform reporting requirements and program design improvements. Ensure that procedures are working to achieve program goals and to support efficient processes.
- Program Outreach: Maintain program webpages and marketing collateral including leading content creation and updates, prepare marketing materials, and cold-calling as needed.
- Reporting: Lead development of project deliverables and collaboration with team members to develop reports, tools, presentations and other resources on time and within budget. Contribute to data analysis
Required Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in environmental/energy management and design, environmental/energy policy, urban and regional planning, environmental science, energy engineering, business administration (with relevant emphasis), or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience directly related to the primary job duties and required qualifications.
- LEED Green Associate or Accredited Professional is plus, but not required.
- Experience working on projects involving residential or nonresidential energy efficiency improvements, zero net energy, building energy management or planning, renewable energy installations, demand response solutions, energy or environmental code compliance and/or demonstrated greenhouse gas reductions.
- Ability to independently handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments.
- Extremely detail-oriented, exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to perform within required deadlines.
- Strong organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Experience coordinating and facilitating events and stakeholder meetings.
- Ability to use sound judgement in responding to issues and concerns.
- Demonstrated proficiency in providing professional-level customer service or technical assistance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including proficiency in typing, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Public speaking skills preferred.
- Experience with data entry and databases.
- Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) to create well-formatted documents and materials.
- Experience using task management software including but not limited to SharePoint, Basecamp, or other related CRM software platforms a plus.
- Experience with virtual meeting programs such as GoToMeeting, Join.Me, Skype for Business, etc. preferred.
The ideal candidate:
- Experience working with municipal and commercial building owners and operators, local government staff and/or elected officials, utilities, contractors and clean energy design professionals.
- Strong knowledge of distributed energy technologies including energy efficiency, renewables, energy storage and demand response programs.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, energy conservation, building science and water conservation principles.
- Knowledge of local and state policies, building codes and standards addressing energy efficiency, clean energy and zero net energy buildings, as well as the stakeholders they impact.
- Experience with design-bid-build projects or construction management principles.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency programs and financing for residential and small commercial buildings in California is a plus.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, energy consumption data (e.g., EPA Energy Star Portfolio Manager or other building energy management systems) is a plus.
- Graduate school experience may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to essential duties and responsibilities of this position.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.