About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is seeking a scientist with program-evaluation, econometric-research, and/or policy-analysis experience and an interest in electric vehicle (EV) markets and policies. This position will lead evaluation of the market, emission, and other impacts of five statewide electric-vehicle rebate programs, including California’s half-billion-dollar Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP).
More broadly, the position will act as an enabler of EV market transformation through provision of data and evidence-based insight to inform program improvement, policymaking, and public and private strategic planning—thereby empowering stakeholders throughout the clean-transportation ecosystem. The position will work under the guidance and direction of the Senior Account Manager, as well as the Principal Advisor, and with the support of a team of analysts and project management staff.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
- Lead evaluation of market, emission, and other impacts of rebate programs, with an emphasis on:
- clear definition of research objectives and detailed research design,
- oversight of and participation in collaborative, high-quality research,
- refinement of appropriately-framed, client-ready evaluation products (e.g., presentations, reports, white papers, peer-reviewed journal articles), and
- communication of results and their appropriate use via a variety of internal, program, stakeholder-education, and corporate-marketing channels
- Represent the program evaluation team and its work in client-coordination activities.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to a support team of analysts and departmental project management staff.
- Proactively build capacity and initiatives related to program-impact assessment within and across programs
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Essential knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Training in and experience with quantitative methods, in particular those related to program evaluation, econometrics, or policy analysis
- Ability to work independently and produce high-quality, refined work products
- Ability to collaborate with a team of analysts (e.g., designing requests, providing feedback and quality assurance, adding refinement, making meaning, understanding strategic connections)
- Ability to understand, review, and build upon the existing research literature
- Ability to write well and communicate complex topics effectively for a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience writing technical reports and research papers
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of the electric vehicle market and related policies and technologies
- Familiarity with statistical tools (e.g., Stata, R)
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., evaluation [impact metrics], econometrics, policy analysis, etc.)
- Postdoctoral research experience
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.