About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
Serve as Principal Investigator, lead the development and execution of research projects, and also contribute to CSE’s overall analytical capacity, particularly in the areas of quantitative and qualitative analysis, research design, program evaluation, statistical methods, data visualization and public reporting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Depending on the services needed and the skill set of the Senior Research Analyst, responsibilities may include the following.
Project Scoping and Implementation
- Identify market needs, internal program needs and external funding opportunities; design and scope research projects to address these needs and opportunities; write proposals to secure funding for research projects.
- Serve as Principal Investigator on research projects, with minimal oversight from supervisor.
- Play a leadership role on the R&A team to design research and manage research implementation according to industry best practices and internal quality assurance protocols.
- Mentor junior members of R&A team in research methods and project work.
Research and Statistical Methods
- Compile, read, and summarize existing literature to frame research efforts and inform policy.
- Administer surveys, focus groups and/or interviews.
- Assemble, manipulate, analyze and interpret data from various sources, often in coordination with external research partners.
- Perform statistical analysis, including multivariable linear regressions, GIS-based spatial analysis, time series modeling and forecasting techniques.
- Effectively communicate findings and implications to internal staff and high-level external stakeholders.
- Review analyses conducted by other research analysts for quality.
- Document research procedures and develop SOPs.
- Draft written reports and proposals describing completed or proposed model design, implementation and results.
- Work collaboratively with program teams and other members of R&A team to achieve objectives.
Data Visualization and Reporting
- Generate web-based data visualizations, maps and reporting tools.
- Access and facilitate reporting from existing program, customer relationship management (CRM) databases, and enterprise resource planning software databases
CSE Program Support
- Develop analytical tools for program assessment, tracking and evaluation, including projections of budgets and participation rates.
- Support/represent program staff in public reporting calls and committee.
- Support/represent program staff in measurement and evaluation activities.
- Support program staff in developing presentations.
- Participate, as needed, in program working groups, meetings, and regulatory proceedings.
- Advise program teams of research needs, opportunities, strategies and best practices; help them scope research projects that help meet their project goals.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal clients and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to R&A team strategy/work plan.
- Present at conferences, produce research briefs and reports, write blogs.
- Manage intern(s), including hiring, timesheets, requirements for school credit (if applicable), defining assignments, overseeing projects and progress, and providing feedback for improving performance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Role Specific Responsibilities:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint; advanced proficiency in Excel
Proficiency in at least one of the following:
Data visualization software (e.g., Tableau)
Statistical analysis tools (e.g., STATA, R)
Relational database development, maintenance and reporting
- Proficiency in advanced quantitative research design and methods and/or program evaluation
- Demonstrated expertise in electricity sector (including rates) and/or markets or policy related to electric vehicles, energy efficiency, distributed generation and/or energy storage
- Ability to explain complex, technical concepts to non-technical staff and stakeholders
- Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated to meet deadlines of multiple concurrent projects and implement quality assurance protocols
- Ability to work independently on long-term projects
- Demonstrated propensity to proactively communicate with teammates and seek feedback on work
- Interest in working with data, research and sustainable energy initiatives
- Record of publications and/or presentations in industry-relevant setting
- Experience developing innovative project concepts, writing proposals and creating project budgets that resulted in funded projects
- Experience working with or within public agencies
- Successful working relationships with key stakeholders in sustainable energy market and policy arena
- Experience developing quality assurance protocols
- Experience supervising and/or mentoring junior staff
- Master's degree in statistics, economics, computer science, social science, environmental science, public policy, engineering or related field. Coursework should show substantial analytical content.
- Additional relevant work experience may be substituted to satisfy the education requirement; a higher advanced degree may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to the position.
- 6-12 years of related experience
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.