Location: San Diego, Oakland or Los Angeles
About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Accelerating the transition to a sustainable world powered by clean energy.
Founded in 1996, the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is a mission-driven nonprofit dedicated to developing a clean energy future that addresses climate change, increases energy independence and generates lasting economic and environmental benefits. Our teams empower such innovation by leveraging expertise in clean transportation, distributed energy resources, energy efficiency, energy engineering and regulatory and policy support. As a trusted advisor, we partner with clients of all sizes to help achieve their sustainability objectives through a suite of energy services that include comprehensive program design and management, research and analysis, technical advising, incentive and rebate management, and education and outreach. Our headquarters are in San Diego with offices in Boston, Los Angeles and Oakland, Calif.
This Senior Research Analyst position is an integral part of the CSE’s Research and Analysis (R&A) team, which supports the organization’s program implementation, policy development, and marketing and outreach activities. The Senior Research Analyst will play a leadership role in CSE’s capacity to track, evaluate, and educate internal and external stakeholders about assigned projects and programs. In so doing, the position provides insight into optimal program design, implementation, and planning through a variety of activities, including data collection, management, analysis, summary, distribution, visualization, and reporting.
What you’ll be doing:
Project Scoping and Implementation:
- Identify market needs, internal program needs and external funding opportunities; design and scope research and evaluation projects to address these needs and opportunities.
- Play a leadership role on the R&A team to ensure research is designed and implemented according to industry best practices and internal quality assurance protocols.
- Mentor junior members of R&A team in research methods and project work.
Research and Statistical Methods:
- Compile, read, and summarize existing literature to frame research efforts and inform policy.
- Administer surveys, focus groups and/or interviews
- Assemble, manipulate, analyze and interpret data from various sources, often in coordination with external research partners.
- Perform statistical analysis, including multivariable linear regressions, GIS-based spatial analysis, time series modeling and/or forecasting techniques.
- Effectively communicate findings and implications to internal staff and high-level external stakeholders.
- Review analyses conducted by other research analysts for quality.
- Document research procedures and develop SOPs.
- Draft written reports and proposals describing completed or proposed model design, implementation and results.
- Work collaboratively with program teams and other members of R&A team to achieve objectives.
Data Visualization and Reporting:
- Generate web-based data visualization, maps and reporting tools.
- Access and facilitate reporting from existing program, customer relationship management (CRM) databases, and enterprise resource planning software databases
CSE Program Support:
- Develop analytical tools for program assessment, tracking and evaluation, including projections of budgets and participation rates.
- Support/represent program staff in public reporting calls and committee.
- Support/represent program staff in measurement and evaluation activities.
- Support program staff in developing presentations.
- Participate, as needed, in program working groups, meetings, and regulatory proceedings.
- Advise program teams of research needs, opportunities, strategies and best practices; help them scope research projects that help meet their project goals.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal teams, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to R&A team strategy/work plan
- Present at conferences, produce research briefs and reports
- Manage intern(s), including hiring, timesheets, requirements for school credit (if applicable), defining assignments, overseeing projects and progress, and providing feedback for improving performance.
The ideal candidate:
- 3-8 years of related experience
- Master's degree in evaluation, statistics, economics, social science, environmental science or related field. Coursework should show substantial analytical content.
- Record of publications and/or presentations in industry relevant setting
- Additional relevant work experience may be substituted to satisfy the education requirement; a higher advanced degree may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to the position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint; advanced proficiency in Excel
- Proficiency in at least one of the following:
- Statistical analysis tools (e.g., STATA, R)
- Relational database development, maintenance and reporting
- Proficiency in program evaluation and advanced quantitative research design and methods
- Demonstrated expertise in electricity sector (including rates) and/or markets or policy related to electric vehicles, energy efficiency, distributed generation and/or energy storage
- Ability to explain complex, technical concepts to non-technical staff and stakeholders
- Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated to meet deadlines of multiple concurrent projects and implement quality assurance protocols
- Ability to work independently on long-term projects
- Demonstrated propensity to proactively communicate with teammates and seek feedback on work
- Interest in working with data, research and sustainable-energy initiatives
- Experience writing proposals and creating project budgets
- Experience working with or within public agencies
- Experience supervising and/or mentoring junior staff
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please send a resume and cover letter along with salary history via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Research Analyst I (Specializing in Program Evaluation)” in the email subject to facilitate sorting.