About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The UI/UX designer is a member of the Platform Development Team and is responsible for implementing a best in class user experience and visual design for CSE’s custom client solutions. CSE solutions include application processing platforms for clean energy incentive programs, such as California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). These solutions include a front-end CMS system and back-end Salesforce and document storage systems. The UX/UI Designer collaborates with clients, program/project managers, business analysts and front end/backend developers to build wireframes and mockups and is an integral member of the Platform Development Team.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
- 3-5 years experience as a UI/UX designer or in a similar role
- Work with end users, Project Managers, Business Analysts and Developers to define functionality and translate specifications into mockups and wireframes
- Conduct user research to identify user personas and understand problems/needs
- Suggest user stories and requirements that need to be considered for implementation
- Design solutions to create smooth user flows and user interactions
- Convey vision and concepts through both low and high fidelity wireframes, flows, storyboards and mockups
- Create best in class websites in terms of ease of use and look and feel
- Own the entire design process across varied development methodologies (ie. Waterfall, Agile, Scrum)
- Test website and applications to ensure adherence to design specifications prior to release
- Conduct usability testing and validation via one on one interactions or focus groups
Essential knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fluency in design tools such as Axure, Invision, Balsamiq, Photoshop and Illustrator, etc.
- Have a keen eye for aesthetics and enjoy making beautiful web pages with a strong understanding of composition, balance, symmetry and white space
- Experience with Waterfall, Agile and Scrum team development environments
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and multi-task on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and a commitment to quality
- Must have an outstanding portfolio of innovative, creative and functional designs
- Must have experience in creating prototypes, wireframes, user flows, process flows, journey flows and site maps
- Must have experience with Interaction design
- Experience with Rapid Prototyping, Visual design and Responsive design preferred
- Experience with Affinity diagrams and Heuristic reviews preferred
- Must be authorized to work in the US
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Background or degree in Human Cognitive Behavior, Product Design, User Experience Design or other related fields
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.