About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Electric Vehicle Dealership Specialist will be responsible for the development and execution of a variety of projects relating to plug-in and fuel-cell EV Dealerships. Under the EV Initiatives and Transportation Department, the position will conduct multiple EV market facilitation projects, many of which are associated with the administration of the California Air Resources Board’s CVRP, Massachusetts’ MOR-EV, and similar projects. In addition to duties related to the CVRP and similar projects, this position will also provide overall operational support within CSE’s Transportation Department, including new program development, policy guidance, and implementation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
•STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT: Interact with EV market stakeholders including, but not limited to, dealerships, auto groups, auto dealer associations, state agencies, air districts, automakers, media, and others. (40%)
•BUSINESS & POLICY DEVELOPMENT: Contribute to the development of new business and policy positions related to EV stakeholders, draft proposals and policy comments. (30%)
•EDUCATION & OUTREACH: Collaborate with the marketing department and program staff to execute a variety of dealer/stakeholder education and outreach activities; represent CSE at external events. (15%)
•PROGRAM/PROJECT DESIGN & EVALUATION: Identify needs, make recommendations on the design of stakeholder initiatives; evaluate the effectiveness of activities. (10%)
•ANALYSIS, WRITING & REPORTING: Analyze data and write guides, training materials, industry articles, project reports, outreach materials, and media content. (5%)
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Strong understanding of vehicle dealerships/retail systems and dealer-automaker relationships
• Understanding of electric-vehicle market development and trends
• Familiarity with electric-vehicle technologies & products
• Familiarity with technology diffusion or advanced technology adoption
• General computer competence and experience with programs such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Excellent liaison and coordination skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public-speaking and/or client-interaction
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision and/or direction
• Ability to work well on internal and external teams
• Analytical; strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Literate, numerate, and curious
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Extensive knowledge of the vehicle retail industry and their networks in California, ZEV MOU states, or other strategic states/regions
• Familiarity with transportation issues relating to greenhouse gas (GHG) and criteria air-pollutant emissions, including California and national energy and air-quality policies
• Familiarity with vehicle retail industry training methods and programs
• Ability to create data visualization products, presentations, reports, and other products
Decision Making Authority:
Dealership specialist will identify gaps in our current outreach practices and will identify possible improvements and potential partners to complete pilot testing or policy enhancements. This position will be able to pitch new project ideas by connecting the team with potential dealer partnerships.
As the Fleet and Dealer team works to secure additional contracts, Letters of supports are needed from OEM, Dealerships, and organizations. The Dealership Specialist will consistently be in contact with OEMs, Dealership Associations, Auto groups, and Dealerships to improve CSE’s relationship with various organizations
This position works to position CSE as a leader in EV outreach and education. In order to improve relationships with dealerships and new car associations, it is important to have consistent interactions and information to strengthen CSE relationship with a few stakeholders. If the employee were not able to consistently work with dealer groups, CSE may miss out on opportunities and future projects.
Preferred car sales experience but not required
Education and Experience Requirements:
•Bachelor's degree required. Degree program should ideally demonstrate relevance to sustainable transportation and energy and/or the automotive industry, such as environmental/energy policy, transportation planning, environmental planning, transportation engineering, specialized public policy, environmental science, or technological innovation.
•5+years of experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified, including direct experience in and/or with auto dealerships, and experience maintaining relationships with external clients.
License, Certificates or Registrations:
Not needed for job posting but relationships to NCDA and CNCDA or OEM relationships are preferred
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
This position will require travel up to 10% of the time for meetings with potential partnerships.