About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
CSE is looking for a dynamic and driven individual keen to take an already highly skilled and curious monitoring, evaluation and research team to the next level. Offering a great opportunity for someone looking to make a mark as part of a broader build-out of a world-class research and analytics team in the space of electrification of transport and distributed energy resources, you should be an individual who excels in an entrepreneurial environment keen to further a social mission. Reporting directly to the Chief Research Officer and Data Scientist, the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research will provide technical direction for all monitoring, evaluation and research related systems, processes, analysis, and reporting across CSE’s existing program portfolio.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
- Provides technical leadership in monitoring, evaluation and research systems, processes and methodologies;
- Synthesizes historical project successes and finalizes and aggregates organizational M&E indicators across a range of past and ongoing projects;
- Provides technical guidance and direction for, and review of CSE’s, M&E and program-related research activities and resulting deliverables including reports;
- Informs and develops monitoring, evaluation and research approaches and strategies as required in support of new business development;
- Supports staff in setting high expectations for research quality and productivity and on-time completion and maintains a strict quality assurance process;
- Develops a forum for staff review of data to foster a reflective and open discussion of strengths, problem spots, and strategies for continuous improvement;
- Directs the development, implementation, and evaluation of program-related research activities to include the design and implementation of research projects;
- Collaborates effectively with subject matter experts to define and achieve common or cross-cutting research goals while fostering similar collaboration between staff and SMEs;
- Defines and maintains a “system of ownership” of monitoring, evaluation and research subject matter expertise whereby individual staff are assigned to be responsible for and maintain the integrity of specific methodologies, approaches, related data;
- Ensures the supervision and mentoring of junior staff to accomplish research objectives and maintain a quality work environment;
- Oversees and ensures operational efficiencies across the full range of operations areas, including budgets, funding, workforce planning, and human resources management;
- Provides substantial contributions to the formulation and direction of CSE research that enhances CSE’s preeminence in monitoring, evaluation and research as it relates to program outputs and impacts;
- Works as a team member with other Directors and senior leadership to advance the interests of CSE.
Essential knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven dynamic and passionate leader who can establish and communicate a vision for conducting cutting-edge research as well as monitoring and evaluation studies which provide deep insights into the outcomes and impacts of CSE’s portfolio of programs;
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of major quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation methodologies and proven ability to design monitoring and evaluation instrumentation tools;
- Demonstrated ability to tell compelling data stories and communicate findings in a meaningful way to multiple audiences and which encourages action;
- Curious, motivated, pro-active and a self-starter keen to solve problems;
- Recognized national reputation and record of accomplishment;
- Ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner and in way that appropriately represents CSE;
- Experience leading and motivating monitoring, evaluation and research teams, including identifying potential skills gap and building and/or acquiring the appropriate expertise to establish a well-rounded team;
- Expertise in strategic planning, developing research projects and research funding, managing budgets and completing projects on time;
- Excellent analytical skills combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem-solving;
- Familiarity and exposure to a broad suite of multiple modern and traditional technologies, software and programming languages in the monitoring, evaluation, and research space, including STATA, R, Python, NoSQL, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Alteryx, etc., with experience in using several of these;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Distinguished track-record of publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Knowledge of the energy space, particularly electrification of transport and distributed energy resources;
- Strong business acumen combined with significant experience delivering research in complex data environments.
Education and/or experience:
- PhD in statistics, economics, demographics or relevant field of social sciences
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience beyond doctorate
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
- Demonstrated ability in at least two statistical software packages, including open source, and one data visualization software package
- Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
License, Certificates or Registrations:
Valid California Drivers License; insurable in the State of California. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.