About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
CSE solutions include application processing platforms for clean energy incentive programs, such as California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). These solutions include a front-end CMS system and back-end Salesforce and document storage systems. The Senior UX/UI Designer collaborates with clients, program/project managers, business analysts and frontend/backend developers to build wireframes and mockups and is an integral member of the Platform Development Team.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Work with end-users, Project Managers, Business Analysts and Developers to define functionality and translate specifications into mockups and wireframes.
- Conduct user research to identify user personas and understand problems/needs.
- Suggest user stories and requirements that need to be considered for implementation.
- Design solutions to create smooth user flows and user interactions.
- Convey vision and concepts through both low- and high-fidelity wireframes, flows, storyboards and mockups.
- Create best-in-class websites in terms of ease of use and look and feel.
- Own the entire design process across varied development methodologies (i.e., Waterfall, Agile, Scrum).
- Test website and applications to ensure adherence to design specifications prior to release.
- Conduct usability testing and validation via one on one interactions or focus groups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Role Specific Responsibilities
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Fluency in design tools such as Axure, Invision, Balsamiq, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Possess a keen eye for aesthetics and enjoy making beautiful web pages with a strong understanding of composition, balance, symmetry and white space.
- Experience with Waterfall, Agile and Scrum team development environments.
- Must have an outstanding portfolio of innovative, creative and functional designs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task on a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter and ability to work with both a team and independently.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Customer-focused and results-driven, with a commitment to quality.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in human cognitive behavior, product design, user experience design or other related fields
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience including:
- Experience in creating prototypes, wireframes, user flows, process flows, journey flows and site maps
- Experience with Interaction design
- Experience with Rapid Prototyping, Visual design and Responsive design preferred
- Experience with Affinity diagrams and Heuristic reviews preferred
- Works in an office environment