About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
Efforts will focus on promoting the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), a program that offers rebates for the purchase or lease of new, eligible zero-emission and plug-in hybrid light-duty vehicles. This job description outlines key tasks that the selected candidate will focus on in this role.
We are looking for a bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Hmong or English/Mandarin) and outgoing community engagement champion to represent CSE (Center for Sustainable Energy) and the CVRP program at a variety of event types throughout the Sacramento area and northern California. This role is responsible for building awareness and understanding of CVRP, as well as educating target audiences about additional incentives and benefits of clean vehicle ownership.
Primary Job Duties
- Event/Partnership and Partnership Coordination
- Community event participation
- Represent CSE/CVRP while working within outreach booth at all approved community events
- Research event opportunities to participate in (requires developing an understanding of the landscape of assigned areas to identify where efforts should be focused)
- Coordinate needs for event participation, including negotiating booth location and cost with event organizers, contract management, logistics (transporting booth to/from event locations, and setting up/tearing down booth) and any other needs
- Community Based Organization workshop coordination
- Research presentation opportunities to participate in
- Coordinating workshops with locally-based Community Based Organizations (CBOs)
- Assist in building/maintaining relationships with CBOs
- Provide presentations at CBO workshops to its respective members
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Ride and Drive event coordination
- Lead coordination efforts for EV test drive events, including (but not limited to): site selection, permitting, new car dealership/partner participation, staffing, advertising/promotion, and execution
- Car Dealership Outreach
- Coordinate car dealer update meeting to provide updates on CVRP
- Coordinate car dealer trainings for sales staff on CVRP
- Additional grass-roots event planning/coordination
- Assist in coordination of other types of grass-roots events aimed to engage members of low- to moderate-income and disadvantaged communities
- Types of events can include (but are not limited to): electric vehicles, solar, energy efficiency, health and wellness, resource, etc.
- Administrative responsibilities across all event types include:
- Oversee inventory of all outreach materials, monitor supplies (re-ordering and repairing as needed), and organization of those items (quality assurance)
- Uphold CSE branding standards with regards to materials to be used at events
- Assist with culturally sensitive new outreach tools, handouts and materials as needed to adapt to local communities
- Event/Presentation follow Up
- Execute effective follow-up techniques with contacts made at events
- Assist in the creation of email templates to be sent to event attendees who’s email addresses were collected
- Create communications that reinforce key outreach messaging and encourages event attendees to take action
- Increase website traffic and create extended reach opportunities as a result of the proper event follow up communications
- Address frequently asked questions, local issues, and/or provide other information that was brought up at specific events
Event/Presentation and Partnership Tracking
Track event/presentation and partnership metrics (ie. event attendance, emails, number of quality conversations had, etc.) for internal/external reporting purposes
Skills & Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree suggested and or
- 2-3 years of experience in community outreach or other areas directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Bilingual (reading, writing and speaking) in both English and Spanish or Hmong or Mandarin is required
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, and the ability to build strong professional relationships over the phone and in person
- Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong multitasking ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Able to follow through on assignments and projects within required budgets and deadlines
- Familiarity with federal and California regulations related to transportation, energy, and air quality a plus
- Excellent time and stress management skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong conflict management skills
- A passion for sustainable energy, customers and solving problems quickly and creatively will be valued.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.