Join our team of passionate professionals forging the path to decarbonization
Whether you’re a seasoned environmentalist or someone who’s always wanted to be part of a greater movement for a sustainable future, you’ll be in good company at CSE. From project managers to energy efficiency gurus, EV enthusiasts to data nerds, we’re each doing our little part to make a big impact.
We move at the speed of business and operate with the heart of a nonprofit. This means we have a strong corporate infrastructure that includes finance, information technology, human resources and marketing functions that work together with our program administration teams to achieve our mission.
17 Jobs at CSEDisplaying 1 - 5 of 17
The Business Analyst works on the Product Management & Platform Development team. They help define and implement software solutions to support requirements and increase efficiency in consumer incentive programs. Becoming deeply knowledgeable of Salesforce CRM is key but the position is not limited to business analysis of only this system. Other technology and tools involved in the day to day analysis include Web Development, Box Integration, Tableau Reporting, Security tools, etc. Communication is a key success criterion for this role – being a good listener, asking key questions, speaking in a concise, clear manner with the ability to illicit details from stakeholders who do not have a technology background.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Own and support system development projects, including integration between project websites, rebate databases, and cloud-based document storage
- Gather and translate business needs into detailed software requirements and technical specifications.
- Oversee system specification development, including creating and reviewing flowcharts and process diagrams.
- Participate in and/or manage projects using traditional waterfall methodology or agile Kanban/sprints
- Develop waterfall SDLC documentation such as - Business Requirements Documents, Functional Requirements Documents, Acceptance/Regression Test plans, User Acceptance Test Plans and Deployment plans
- Develop Agile documentation such as – User stories, Detailed Requirements, Acceptance Criteria, Agile test documentation
- Work with UX Interaction Design to build best in class user experiences
- Lead and guide testing and troubleshooting for new system features, including documenting system bugs, errors and solutions.
- Guide the implementation and rollout of new system features.
- Help develop training and provide support for new system features.
- Provide guidance to stakeholders on devising effective and efficient approaches to achieve project objectives.
- Perform research to gather necessary information, compile statistics, and prepare analysis of data.
- Participate in or act as lead for the Product & Platform team during the development of RFP’s
- Lead and manage other Business Analysts on the team, as needed.
- Support process improvement activities.
- Participate in strategic planning for transportation and/or other project system operations.
- Analyze operational models for effectiveness and suggest ways to improve.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of the SDLC process
- Experience gathering requirements for and supporting database/website implementations.
- Experience developing and implementing test plans.
- Experience defining business requirements and acceptance criteria for systems and projects.
- Ability to conceptually outline a high level design of how a system would work based on business requirements.
- Ability to work with technical resources to translate business requirements into technical requirements.
- Ability to explain complex, technical concepts to non-technical staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to understand and document processes at a conceptual level.
- Exceptional Communication skills
- Ability to solicit the voice of the customer.
- Ability to represent stakeholder concerns and requirements.
- Exceptional problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with best practices benchmarking.
- Professional oral and written communication skills (internal and external).
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Experience working with a diverse team.
- Experience working with diverse business and community groups.
- Intermediate Microsoft Visio (or comparable) skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Ability to explain complex, technical concepts to non-technical staff and stakeholders
- Significant experience with custom Salesforce development is a plus
- Experience working with cloud-based storage systems (e.g., Box.com, Dropbox, etc.)
- Experience with custom database/website development/implementation other than Salesforce/Drupal.
- Understanding of barriers to adoption of clean transportation by underserved communities and low-to-moderate income households.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in electric, plug-in hybrid electric, and other alternative fuel vehicles.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in local, state, and federal transportation issues related to greenhouse gases (GHGs) and climate change.
- Basic knowledge of and/or interest in energy issues with basic understanding of sustainable energy policy and technologies.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
3+ years of related experience preferred
The UX Interaction Designer is a member of the Product Management & Platform Development Team and is responsible for implementing a best in class user experience and visual design for CSE’s custom client solutions. This role is a proactive, hands-on role that collaborates with program/project managers, business analysts and front end/backend developers to build wireframes and mock-ups and is an integral member of the Team.
SOLID KNOWLEDGE OF AXURE IS REQUIRED! If you don’t have the ability to code interactions into your wireframes in AXURE (ie. Prototype), Please do not Apply!
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
- 3-5 years experience as a UX Interaction Designer or in a similar role
- Work with end users, Project Managers, Business Analysts and Developers to define functionality and translate specifications into mock-ups and wireframes
- Conduct user research to identify user personas and understand problems/needs
- Suggest user stories and requirements that need to be considered for implementation
- Design solutions to create smooth user flows and user interactions.
- Convey vision and concepts through both low and high fidelity wireframes, flows, storyboards and mockups
- Create best in class websites in terms of ease of use, look and feel
- Own the entire design process across varied development methodologies (ie. Waterfall, Agile, Scrum)
- Test website and applications to ensure adherence to design specifications prior to release.
- Conduct usability testing and validation via one-on-one interactions or focus groups.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities
- Fluency in design tools such as Axure, Invision, Balsamiq, Photoshop and Illustrator, etc.
- Have a keen eye for aesthetics and enjoy making beautiful web pages with a strong understanding of composition, balance, symmetry and white space
- Experience with Waterfall, Agile and Scrum team development environments
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and multi task on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and a commitment to quality
- MUST HAVE SOLID AXURE EXPERIENCE – CODING INTERACTIONS (ie. PROTOTYPE) INTO YOUR WIREFRAMES IS A MUST HAVE FOR THIS POSITION!
- Must have an outstanding portfolio of innovative, creative and functional designs and be prepared to show them
- Must have experience in creating prototypes, wireframes, user flows, process flows, journey flows and site maps
- Must have a proactive personality that has a passion for their job
- Must have experience with User Experience Testing and Validation
- Experience with Rapid Prototyping, Visual design and Responsive design preferred
- Experience with Affinity diagrams and Heuristic reviews preferred
- Must be authorized to work in the US
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Background or degree in Human Cognitive Behavior, Product Design, User Experience Design or other related fields
Transparency and Insights (T&I) is a dynamic, cross-functional team of data scientists, visual analysts, evaluators, and researchers who transform quantitative and qualitative data into novel, insightful, and actionable insights.
The Director of Research for Electric Vehicle and Infrastructure Programs leads the composition, direction, and expansion of T&I’s qualitative and quantitative research and analysis focused on the consumer and commercial adoption of electric vehicles and infrastructure. The Director is responsible for overseeing and improving the quality, novelty, and reach of T&I’s research initiatives.
The Director is responsible for the execution of dozens of simultaneous EV and EV infrastructure related projects across more than a dozen client programs by coordinating staff activities. The director manages the productivity and professional growth of the EV Research team. This includes directly managing senior staff and establishing policies and procedures to ensure that the highly-matrixed team meet their individual and collective goals for utilization.
The Director is responsible for ensuring successful relationships with other CSE departments (e.g. transportation PMs, infrastructure teams, platform development) as well as satisfying existing requirements and expanding the opportunities with external clients through frequent communications and by attending strategic meetings.
The Director contributes thought leadership that affirms CSE’s place at the forefront of innovative and insightful EV research and in-depth understanding of how to activate market demand. The director supports the overall organization goals as determined by T&I’s Senior Director.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Managing the team of Senior staff members including conducting performance reviews and scheduling their project resourcing
- Overseeing hiring and promoting of EV team staff by coordinating with CSE’s human resource team on employment-related activities
- Coordinating with the project management office (PMO) to ensure that T&I staff are fully supporting all of CSE’s EV and EVI programs and compliance with EV program budgets
- Defining and enhancing CSE’s EV Thought Leadership in the electric vehicle and infrastructure industry through articles, media interviews, and presenting at industry conferences.
- Working with the Senior Director to establish and advance the EV team’s strategic growth by expanding research capabilities and cultivate the client roster into new market segments
- Reviewing and finalizing deliverables for accuracy and completeness before sending to clients
- Setting and achieving the SMART goals for the EV Research team
- Managing proposal development for EV Research team and supporting CSE’s Business Development activities
- Participate in strategic meetings with CSE’s Transportation team and the California Air Resources Board as part of T&Is research efforts on behalf of the California Vehicle Rebate Program (CVRP)
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to manage a team of research analysts and data scientists to meet project deadlines while balancing multiple concurrent projects
- In-depth knowledge of energy and EV technologies, incentives, political and industry market drivers and challenges, program evaluation, and methodologies for calculating transportation greenhouse gas
- Extensive knowledge of advanced quantitative methods, including stochastic and deterministic modeling, linear regression, hypothesis testing, cluster analysis, factor analysis, etc.
- Functional knowledge of current database, spreadsheet, data visualization, quantitative and mapping software tools
- Experience in managing client relationships and creating business development opportunities, writing detailed proposals that include itemized project budgets that result in funded projects
- Successful working relationships with key stakeholders in the EV market and policy arena including working with or within public agencies in the clean energy and transportation industries
- Detailed knowledge of current status of technology development and extensive relationships throughout the EV, EV infrastructure markets, as well as a developed network of relationships with utility, policy and regulatory stakeholder participants
- Experience managing teams that produce high quality research and analysis using the following tools:
- Data visualization software (e.g., Tableau)
- Quantitative analysis tools (e.g., R, STATA, python)
- Mapping software (e.g., ESRI ArcMap, QGIS)
- Relational database development, maintenance, queries and reporting
- Master’s Degree required, PhD preferred
- 8+ years of related experience producing and overseeing EV and EV infrastructure research
- Extensive history of published research articles in EVs and infrastructure
Licenses, Certificates or Registrations:
- None required
This position is an integral part of the CSE’s Transparency and Insights (T&I) team, which supports the organization’s policy development, program implementation, and marketing and outreach activities. T&I is a dynamic group of nearly 30 researchers, data scientists, and program managers that works across all of CSE’s major program areas: clean vehicles, electric vehicle infrastructure, distributed energy resources. The Visual Analytics Specialist will contribute to CSE’s analytical capacity, particularly in the areas of data visualization and public reporting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Working independently with the guidance of senior members of the T&&I team, responsibilities may include the following.
Data Visualization and Reporting
Develop and maintain static and interactive data visualizations, which can range from tables and charts to web-based dashboards, maps, predictive models, and reporting tools.
Access data and facilitate reporting from existing databases.
Collaborate with T&I and other CSE departments to develop SOPs, complete projects, and ensure consistent quality across our visual analytic deliverables.
Oversee research analyst’s visual analytics work on a project to ensure quality and build skills.
Contribute to written reports and proposals describing data visualization approaches.
Create training modules and learning opportunities for staff to learn visual analytics skills.
Research and Statistical Methods
Perform statistical analysis (descriptive statistics) and/or GIS-based spatial analysis.
Perform quality control (QC) on data analysis conducted by research analysts.
Assemble, manipulate, analyze, and interpret data from various sources, potentially in coordination with external research partners.
Compile, read, and summarize existing literature to frame research efforts and inform policy.
CSE Program Support
Support the development of visual analytical tools for program assessment, tracking, and evaluation, including projections of budgets and participation rates.
Support program staff in public reporting calls and committee.
Support program staff or senior members of T&I team in developing presentations.
Maintain effective working relationships with internal clients and other stakeholders.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Tableau (Intermediate/Advanced proficiency)
Parameters, filtering, actions
Tableau Online experience preferred, not required
Web Development (Beginner/Intermediate proficiency)
Programming (Intermediate proficiency)
Dataframe manipulation and calculations; Dataset creation; Geospatial analyses and joins; ArcPy geoprocessing
Webscraping experience preferred, not required
Plotly experience preferred, not required
ESRI ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro (Beginner/Intermediate proficiency)
Knowledge of vector-based analysis, spatial joins, static map production, and use of Coordinate Reference Systems (CRS)
ArcPy experience for geoprocessing scripts preferred, not required
Collect and incorporate user stories; conduct walk-throughs to understand how end user will work web pages and interactive tools, and interpret visuals.
Understand how to effectively ensure smooth transition from test environment to production environment; Ability to test the production environment.
Data Management (Intermediate proficiency)
General knowledge of ETL processing
SQL experience preferred, not required
Microsoft Excel (Intermediate/Advanced proficiency)
Look-up, index matching, calculations, pivot tables
Microsoft Word and PowerPoint (Intermediate proficiency)
Survey and statistical analysis tools (Beginner proficiency)
Survey platforms (e.g., Alchemer, Qualtrics)
Statistical analysis tools (e.g., Python, R)
Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills.
Strong oral and written communication skills .
Self-motivated to meet deadlines of multiple concurrent projects using project management tools.
Proven ability to implement quality assurance protocols.
Demonstrated propensity to proactively communicate with teammates in a remote environment and seek feedback on work.
Interest in working with data, research and sustainable energy initiatives.
Understanding of electricity sector (including rates) and/or markets or policy related to electric vehicles, energy efficiency, distributed generation and/or energy storage.
Required Education and Experience
3-5 years of related experience
Bachelor's degree with substantial coursework in web design, data visualization, data analysis, and statistics. Coursework in computer science, social science, environmental science, economics, or related fields preferred.
Coursework should show substantial data visualization, web design, and analytical content.
Additional work experience may be substituted to satisfy the education requirement.
Processes clean vehicle rebate applications efficiently and accurately.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Process clean vehicle rebate applications using a customized Salesforce.com CRM system and other computer systems
· Follow detailed, standard practices and operating procedures to review rebate applications and varied, complex supporting documents for accuracy and completeness.
· Make quick, consistent decisions following detailed program terms and conditions to determine rebate applicant eligibility
· Provide technical support to applicants for the online application and document submission processes
· Explain complex project requirements to applicants on the phone and in writing
· Use good judgment when speaking with applicants about non-public personal information
· Handle highly-sensitive documents that contain non-public personal information, following mandatory security processes
· Use template-based and customized emails to communicate professionally and accurately with rebate applicants
· Prepare and mail rebate checks to rebate applicants
· Work effectively with fellow team members to complete rebate processing tasks, assisting others when opportunities arise
· Identify issues which may require deviation from standard practices and work with team leads to implement solutions
· Communicate with the CVRP operations team leads and operations managers to provide status updates, report concerns, and suggest solutions and improvements
· Organize, scan, file, and store hard copy rebate applications
· Perform other related duties as assigned
Role Specific Responsibilities:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Extreme attention to detail
· Strong ability to work on more than one program.
· Ability to understand processes at a conceptual level, execute them correctly in an internet browser-based system, and ask questions when in doubt
· Ability to organize tasks in a way that suits your work style, accommodates your team members, and complies with required processes
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
· Strong writing skills
· Ability to communicate facts and constraints effectively verbally and in writing, even during difficult conversations
· Ability to complete assigned work accurately and on time
· Ability to identify alternative solutions to assigned issues and recommend course of action
· Intermediate ability to navigate in Adobe Acrobat PDF files
· Intermediate ability to follow processes and execute tasks in an internet browser-based system
· Intermediate ability to use Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Windows 7
· Basic knowledge of customer service principles, project management and best practices with data entry and documentation.
· Basic knowledge of and/or interest in energy issues with basic understanding of sustainable energy
policy and technologies
· Experience working with online customer relationship management (CRM) systems (e.g., Salesforce.com)
· Income verification or mortgage processing experience
· Ability to speak, read and write Russian
· Associate of Arts degree required
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
· Additional work experience may be substituted for a degree
· 2 years of experience in office/clerical work, customer support, application processing, or other areas related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
· A bachelor’s degree may be substituted for some work experience
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- Health care & dependent care flexible spending account
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Long-term Disability
- Basic life and AD&D insurance
- Supplemental life insurance
- Transportation flexible spending account
- Gym/fitness reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Legal Shield & ID protection option
- Alternative work schedule (not available for senior leadership positions)