A majority of drivers who received rebates for the purchase or lease of an electric vehicle (EV) from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Drive Clean Rebate Program said the incentive was extremely or very important in making EV ownership possible and that they are very or extremely satisfied with their ownership experience.
More than 23,000 New Yorkers received an NY Drive Clean Rebate and acquired their car in 2021. Of those, over 5,000 volunteered to complete an Adoption Survey. Among the key findings:
- Almost two-thirds (68%) of respondents rated the incentive extremely or very important in making it possible for them to acquire their electric car.
- 16% of program participants reside in a disadvantaged community.
- Roughly 42% of the rebate recipients acquired a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and 58% acquired a battery electric vehicle (BEV).
- Respondents typically replaced, or will replace, a car with their rebated EV (78% of BEV drivers, 83% of PHEV drivers).
- Most respondents are first-time EV owners (79% of BEV drivers and 85% of PHEV drivers)
A year after acquiring their EV in 2020, approximately 3,200 of 13,200 rebate recipients responded to an Ownership Survey. Key findings include:
- 94% of respondents were very or extremely satisfied with their ownership experience and 94% said they would probably or definitely recommend EV ownership to others.
- 95% said they would buy or lease an EV again.
- 15% of program participants reside in a disadvantaged community.
- 68% said access to public charging was a top challenge to driving an EV, only 12% said there were enough public chargers.
To view the reports, go to the NYSERDA website, click 2023, and download the reports:
- 23-09 NYSERDA Drive Clean Rebate Adoption Survey: 2021 results
- 23-08 NYSERDA Drive Clean Rebate Ownership Survey: 2020 results